Thursday, April 5, 2012

found it!

I've been unable to find my mom's recipe for Walnut Slice but  just the other day whilst thumbing through some old cookbooks there it was in a church cookbook!  I was thrilled and very much enjoyed looking through the cookbook with all the names of the contributors ... like taking a trip back in time.  This cookbook must be 40 years old!  Anyway, now that I've found it, not only have I made the dainties but I'm going to share the recipe. 

 MOM'S WALNUT SLICE
1 cup flour
1/2 cup butter
Blend the 2 ingredients and pack into an ungreased 8" square cake pan.  Bake at 350 for 5 minutes.

2 eggs
1 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup walnuts
1/2 cup coconut
Beat eggs and add sugar, followed by the flour, baking powder, and salt.  Add nuts and coconut and spread on top of the shortbread base.  Bake in a moderate oven (350) for 25 minutes.  If desired a thin butter icing may be spread over the top while warm - I always add the icing.

Mom was a very good cook and even better at baking.  When she baked I doubt she ever had a failure.  In case you're wondering .... I did not inherit her skill.

2 comments:

Tangos Treasures said...

Sounds yummy!!!

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing your Mum's recipe