Wednesday, August 31, 2016

mini quilt

I have managed to finish another project  ..... mind you, at the rate I'm going perhaps I should save this to share closer to Christmas.  ^^ 




The yellow nasturtiums were on their last legs so I  tossed them into the compost where they seem to be very happy.




The sweet peas didn't bloom until last week - how crazy is that; so far there are only white and mauve blossoms but who cares since the fragrance is so beautiful!

 




I was surprised although pleased at  how good these colours look together - mother nature is awesome.



And look at these wild asters .....


Whilst out walking I saw a baby garter snake - I've never seen one this little before .... looked like a large earthworm.  This week I've seen several baby mice dead on the road and this a.m. there was an adult vole dead in our yard. One would think that whatever is killing them would eat them. And just the other day an adult vole ran across the road right in front of me - these guys can move very quickly. By the way we've had another tomato stolen but not eaten - just dropped .... some critter must be hungry and can't or doesn't know how to hunt; two years ago it was a stray dog that we found a good home for.

Some of you who are no reply have asked if we're living at the cabin.  The answer is yes and no.  To recap what we've been up to - the house sold very quickly, new place isn't ready yet, moved temporarily into a min-condo in town; town is just an hour from cabin so we haven't spent an overnight there yet since we drive in weekly to pick up the mail, do laundry, get groceries, etc. and return to the cabin.  Basically we lived at the cabin this month - and hopefully will for some of September - but will not be doing so for the winter.  

don't count the days ... make the days count
 

8 comments:

WoolenSails said...

My flowers are starting to go, with the cold nights and some just bloomed.
Trying to figure out how to enjoy the holiday weekend, Bill has time off but I just found out, so too late to get into any places.

Debbie

Brigitte said...

Our flowers are also slowly fading away except some of them. And besides, our compost container has had potatoes growing in it several times, lol.
Such a lovely mini quilt, Kate, so beautifully finished.

Robin in Virginia said...

Your flowers look good. Your mini quilt turned out super, Kate. I know you are enjoying the time spent at the cabin.

Jenny said...

Hi Kate
A finish always needs celebrating! Love your flowers - and sweet peas would be one of my favourites, just love their perfume.
As for snakes - uggh! Luckily there are no snakes in New Zealand, but plenty across the sea nearby in Australia.

Needled Mom said...

The flowers are so pretty and I can almost smell those sweet peas from here.....heavenly smell.

Tangos Treasures said...

Beautiful flowers!! I just love your little quilt!!

Carol said...

Love the asters, Kate! And I really need to remember to give sweet peas a try next year, too. My mom always had them growing on a vine near our kitchen door.

Such a cute and festive little quilt! Enjoy these last warm days...

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous flowers. I'm jealous. Not seeing a lot blooming around here. I do love the piece you finished. You'll find something else to show closer to Christmas.