Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Before and after ...

I've had this 'jacket' for ages. I love the colour and the design but the length just wasn't right for me - too short to wear as a dress and too long to wear as a jacket. So yesterday I decided to attempt to shorten it and I am delighted with the results. Now I can wear it with jeans, dress trousers and/or skirts .... talk about versatility. It looks quite fab teamed up with a black turtleneck pullover. Those spots you see are not spots on the garment but courtesy of the camera .... guess I'd better do a better cleaning of the lens. I overedged and pinked the hem before hand stitching with the 'catch stitch'. My late mother-in-law, a talented dressmaker, taught me how to do this stitch and it's the one I've always used for hemming. It's also an enjoyable stitch to do. 
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Razzle Dazzle Quilter said...

Clever you! I just hate altering garments. Can sew all day quilting but ask me to take up a hem? Ick.
So well done you
Cheers
Linda

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

Well done!! It looks as though you've done it fantastically well! I love the feeling of breathing new life into my clothes. Catch stitch? I haven't heard of that before....

Sarahx

Sharon said...

Maybe you could teach us how to do the catch stitch?! Your jacket looks really nice shortened!