Saturday, March 24, 2012

au naturel

I don't know where the week has gone .... I'm behind in everything - replying to emails, posting on blogger, sewing projects, etc.  However, I have managed to help paint the entire basement, which took one coat of primer and two top coats - sheesh!   (Actually, I'm lying since the last remaining wall still requires the topcoat).  I think we must now own shares in the local paint store.  My hubby does the rolling and the cutting in of the upper portions (he doesn't need a ladder or stool) and I do the bottom parts and baseboards - on my knees I might add.  And then, of course, with the fine weather there was some cleaning up outdoors to do ... why is there always 'stuff' lying around once the snow melts!?!?!?!  

I've been experimenting the last few weeks with some homemade products.  I tried the vinegar and dish detergent cleaner for tubs and showers, which is supposed to be excellent for hard water crud.  It made the basement shower stall sparkle and I'm looking forward to trying it out at the cottage where we do have hard water. 

 Then I made my own body cream; the original recipe calls for baby lotion, vit. E lotion, and vaseline .  I figured there was no point in making my own product if i was going to use products that contained additives ... I'm going for natural here.  It was surprising to read all the chemicals in the baby lotion but I did find a 99% pure baby lotion so I used it and the vaseline along with some essential oil for fragrance - I am pleased with it.


Another item I made was my own facial bronzer.  I can tell you that when I put it on I smelled like a spice cake and little dog was attracted to it but didn't care for the bitter taste.  I won't try that one again.  The original recipe called for icing sugar for the base but I used cornstarch .... didn't want to be too sweet!!

My usual household cleaner is a mixture of vinegar, alcohol, and dish detergent  - it works like a charm and even cleans windows.  I use vinegar and baking soda on the drains.  Can you tell I like "au naturel"? 

I read that I could plant the bottom piece of the celery and it would grow .... well, it does!!!!!  This works with green onions but I'd never considered trying it with celery.  



3 comments:

Sharon said...

Will you come and paint our basement next? ;-) I like trying out natural products too. Have you ever rinsed your hair with a mixture of vinegar/water? It leaves your hair so soft and a natural detangler. I clean my windows with a mixture of alcohol/water and love it!

Rosa said...

I like trying natural products too.I use vinegar to clean my furnitures,( they are wood) and also in washingmachine instead of use condiotioner.

Razzle Dazzle Quilter said...

Oh my goodness - you have been busy! I love homemade cleaners too. A favourite is Lemon dusters

Lemon dusters – I can guarantee that once you have made and tried these you will never use anything else. You can make them in separate little jars – they make great gifts – or I fill a large Agee jar and use them as I need them. The longer you leave them brewing in the jar, the better.
½ cup water
½ cup white vinegar
3–4 lemons
6 drops lemon essential oil
6 to 8 dusters (made from old towels, nappies or sheets)
Mix equal quantities of water and white vinegar in a bowl. Add lemon essential oil, soak your clean dusters in the bowl for a few minutes and squeeze so that they are damp. Peel the rind off the lemons and lay a couple of pieces on each cloth. Roll up cloths lengthwise, then roll the other way into a ball. Place these in the jar one on top of each other, throw in the occasional extra piece of rind and screw on the lid. Take the dusters out when you need to use them, and if they aren’t too soiled you can roll them back up and use them again. The smell in the room is divine

If you go to Wendyl Nissan's site you will find some nice recipes.
http://www.wendylsgreengoddess.co.nz/Cleaning_Recipes.php

We make her laundry mix and spray and wipe. It is all good!
Cheers
Linda