Friday, February 19, 2016

I had to ....

When I saw one of these I had to try to make one.  I made a small one for two reasons .... if it didn't work out I wouldn't have wasted a lot of fabric and this was the only size hexagon I could lay my hands on .....  all my sorting and decluttering has things such as templates being put away and I was too lazy couldn't be bothered to take the time to look for them.

Trivet, pot holder, mug rug/coaster, kitchen art - it has many names I could scratch this off my bucket list if I had one.  ^^ 

 Last week I read on FB a suggestion that for forty days one could remove 1 item per day from the wardrobe and put it in a bag for charity.  I liked the concept of setting a goal and knew it would keep me on track.  I haven't given myself a time limit and the first two items I removed ended up being recycled - does that count?   To take this a step further I decided that I would also remove each day one item from my sewing/craft room.  By the way, it's going well.  ^^

What did I recycle you may be wondering - well, first a shirt from which I salvaged the buttons then cut into pieces that I could use for sewing and/or quilting.  The other was a cotton sweater that I don't wear anymore because it doesn't have a pocket - around home I like a pocket and tend to avoid wearing something without one.   I remembered to take a photo of the recycled sweater .....


 

11 comments:

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

The mug stand or whatever looks great!
Recycling totally counts towards the challenge. My sister did one which involved throwing out one item on day one, two on day two and so on. Not just clothes but anything in the house.

I'm too much of a hoarder!

WoolenSails said...

I do the same thing, I just cut up two pairs of jeans and a flannel shirt but they were worn and torn, so i take off the good materials and buttons. If the clothing is still new, I donate them to the shelter and some I do keep for sentimental reasons, something for a memory quilt.

That block is beautiful, I have no patience for precise piecing.

Debbie

Unknown said...

Beautiful quilting. I love what your have done with the sweater - it's so pretty.

Robin in Virginia said...

I like your hexagon piece. Is the fabric folded to make the star? What a super way to recycle your sweater! Enjoy your weekend!

Allie-oops Designs said...

Oh hon that is brilliant - I love it! I have a gorgeous sweater that I may not fit into if I keep sitting here stitching, I'm going to keep this in mind!

Lynn said...

Love that pillow, ever so cute!

Timi said...

I like the idea of removing 1 item a day :o) And I would recycle them, too, just like you :o)))
The pot holder is so cute!!! Just like the recycled sweater!

Anonymous said...

I think your hexagon is a total success! I love the pillow idea. I'm going to keep that in mind for when I'm wearing out my best friend's gift sweater. I've been thinking lately that I need a new wardrobe. I've been wearing most of this one so long I can't stand it any more. I may try the one item a day thing. That denim skirt is going into a quilt, though!

Carol said...

I need to try the get rid of one item a day plan, myself, Kate--I tend to wear the same things over and over! I've cut up so many of my sons' old flannel shirts to use for ornament backing :)

Very cute little hexagon, too!

Brigitte said...

Great that hexagon mug rug. And also great what you were doing with that sweater.
I love this idea of getting rid of one thing per day - and that can be done in the kitchen, the wardrobe, the craft room as you say. Every now and then I go through the house with a bag in my hand and collect at least 10 things that are not needed any longer or are worn or whatever. I should do that on a regular basis. I can already feel that the time for de-cluttering is approaching again ...

Anonymous said...

I love your little pot mat/coaster thingy - lovely bright colours